Importing cases from a CSV file
The CSV import feature in your case system will help you transfer cases from a CSV file or a spreadsheet with a .csv extension to the Kissflow Case management system. You can also use this feature to import data from other Case management tools using CSV files.
Once imported, your CSV rows will appear as cases in your Case system, and each column will contain metadata about your cases.
Organizing the data in your CSV file
The CSV Import feature allows you to import data in bulk into Kissflow. Here are some guidelines to follow when preparing a CSV file for import:
- Mandatory fields: If there are mandatory fields in your Case system form, at least one column in your CSV file must be mapped to the required fields.
- Data: Within the CSV file, you can map only the following field types to your case system: Text, TextArea, Number, Rating, Date, Date-time, Currency, Yes/no, User, Single-select dropdown, Multi-select dropdown, Slider, Checkbox type fields.
- Delimiter: You’re only permitted to use the comma (,) as a delimiter inside the CSV file.
- Rows: The CSV file can only have up to 500 rows, excluding the header.
- Encoding: The CSV file must have a .csv extension that supports UTF-8 encoding.
Importing a CSV file to your Kissflow Case system
- Sign in to your Kissflow account. Create a new Case system if you haven't created one already.
- On the top left section of the page, click the Down arrow next to the + New case button and click Import CSV.
- After the file picker opens up, click Choose your files, browse your documents, and select your desired file with a .csv extension.
- After importing the CSV file, the system checks it for file corruption and delimiter errors. When an error is notified, please correct the error in the CSV file before re-uploading it.
- Click Next to continue. Then choose the column(s) from your CSV file that you would like to appear as the case details. You will be asked to map the columns in your CSV file to the fields in your Case system. For example, you can choose to map the email addresses from your CSV document into the Email field in your Case system.
- If you wish to map CSV values to any of the custom statuses under Done category, you have to enable the Done category from your Workflow settings first.
Managing duplicate cases
Following the mapping of your cases, you will be asked how you wish to handle duplicate cases in your Case systems. You'll have three choices:
- Select Create a new copy of the case to add the data to the Case system as new cases. It will keep the original case in the Case system.
- If you select Skip the case, this option will skip any duplicated data based on your chosen column. Choose a column with distinct values in your data (e.g. Case ID, Email, Phone number, etc.) to assist us in determining whether this case already exists in your Case system.
- If you select Replace the existing case, you will be able to overwrite existing cases based on the data in a specific column of your CSV file. Choose a column in your data with distinct values (i.e. Case ID, Email, Phone number, etc) to assist us in determining whether this case already exists in your Case system. The new data will be added under your Case system’s Not started status.
Click Finish. Your cases will begin importing. You can close the window and continue working while waiting for all your cases to import into your Case system. After the import is complete, you will be notified via email and push notifications.
Accessing your cases
After successfully importing the cases into your Case system, you can find them under the Not started status, with each case containing the data mapped from the CSV file.