Building a board
Boards help you manage work that covers a wide spectrum, including project tasks, issue tracking, status tracking, help desks, service desks, service request management, employee onboarding, incident management, bug tracking, and many others, all on a single platform.
Getting started with a board is super easy. There are just a few steps that should be completed, and you will be all set to manage your workflows:
- Create a new board.
- Add new members to your board.
- Customize the board form.
- Set up custom statuses that your workflow requires.
- Determine whether a priority field is required.
Create a new board
Boards can be built from scratch so that you can customize it the way you want. Before you can start, you should check if you have the right permissions to create boards. If you are an admin newly starting on an account, you should have these permissions already; else you should contact an Account Admin.
- On the left navigation. click Explore
- On the Explorer page, click Create which will take you to the Create from scratch page. Alternatively, you can go to the Template gallery and install one of the predefined templates.
- On the Create from scratch page, select Board.
- Enter a name for your Board.
- In the Item type field, enter a name for the type of items that will be managed in your board. For example, this can be Issue if you are creating an issue tracking system, tasks for a board that manages projects, or Request for a system that manages service requests.
- The ID prefix field is automatically filled with a system-generated string based on the name given for the board. However, you can also manually change it if you would like to. The prefix must have a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 4 alphanumeric characters.
- If you already have some existing data in a CSV or XLSX format, you can click Import data from other sources and upload the file. The columns in the file will be imported as fields into your form, and the rows will be imported as items. You can only import a maximum of 200 rows.
- Click Create.
Adding new members
You can add users to your board and assign various roles to them. Users added to the board are called members. To add users to your board, follow these steps:
- On your board, click the More options button () > Share.
- To add new members to your board, click Add members.
- In the search box, type in the name of a person you want to add to the board. You can add multiple members.
- After adding the required members, assign one of the following roles to them:
- Admin - can create and edit items as well as manage all the settings for your board.
- Member - can create new items as well as update existing ones.
- Restricted member - can only act on items created by them and assigned to them.
- Initiator - can only create new items and update the ones that are either created or requested by them.
- Click Add.
Customizing your form
The data in each item moving through a workflow is collected using a form. You can customize this form so that the most relevant information for your workflow is captured. To customize the form, click the More options button () > Edit form on your board.
Configuring custom statuses for your workflow
There are five default statuses you can use to indicate the progress of an item in your workflow. In addition to these, you can create custom statuses. Custom statuses allow for detailed tracking of items.
To create a new custom status:
- On your board, click the More options button () > Edit Workflow.
- On the Edit Workflow popup, click Add a custom status under a category.
- Enter a name for the custom status, select a color of your choice, and then click Save.
You can create multiple custom statuses and arrange them in the order that you want. However, custom statuses cannot be created under the Reopened category.
Enabling and disabling priority
Priority indicates the urgency to resolve an item. You can only assign a priority to items if you have turned on this feature in board settings. If this setting is not turned on, the Priority field will not be visible across the board.
- To turn on or off the priority, click the More options button () > Settings.
- Click the Optional tab, then click the ON or OFF button to turn on/off priority for the board.