Configuring Google Workspace directory sync
You can add users and synchronize user information from your third-party directory accounts to Kissflow using the Identity providers feature under User provisioning in Kissflow. We currently support user provisioning from Google Workspace (formerly called G Suite) and via SCIM.
An account can have only one user provisioning service enabled at a time so if you are currently using SCIM, we recommend you to contact our customer support team to help you disable it.
Here are a few things you must know before you attempt to connect to Google Workspace:
- You must be a Super Admin, User Admin, or an Account Admin in your Kissflow account.
- You must be an Administrator in your Google Workspace account with the following permissions:
- Organization: Read
- Organization unit: Read
- Users: Read
- Groups: Read
- Domain Settings
- Domain management
- Schema Management: Schema Read
If you are not sure whether you have the required permissions in your Google Workspace account, check this link to learn more about your role and privileges. Also, if your Administrator access is revoked in the future or your credentials do not work anymore, all the scheduled syncs will be disabled until you sign in back to your Google Workspace account.
Connecting to Google Workspace
- Access your Kissflow account on your web browser and click your profile picture > Account Administration > User provisioning > Identity providers > Google Workspace
- Click Configure
- Click Connect Google Workspace
- Sign in to your Google Workspace account.
- Your connection might fail if you aren’t an Administrator in your Google Workspace account or if the account you tried to sign in wasn’t a Google Workspace account.
- Click Allow to let Kissflow access the information needed to connect to your Google Workspace account. This information includes your current role in Google Workspace, your email address, domain, and users and groups under your domain.
You may now proceed to set up your sync as follows.
After establishing a connection with your Google Workspace account, select the domains from which you would like to provision the users and their relevant group information to Kissflow. Click Next to proceed.
Selecting users or groups
After you’ve selected your preferred domains, you can choose to sync all the users from those domains or sync users only from a specific set of groups available in the selected domains.
Under User sync,
- Select All users if you would like to add or sync all the users from the domains chosen by you in the previous step (or)
- Select Users from specific group(s) and choose the groups if you would like to add or sync users from the domains chosen by you in the previous step.
After selecting users, you can choose to sync their group information by selecting the Add group information additionally checkbox. If you chose to sync users from specific groups, the selected groups will be populated automatically when you check this box. You can make modifications to the list as you wish or leave them as is.
Click Next to proceed or click Previous if you would like to revisit the domains chosen for this configuration and modify the list.
Mapping and testing field attributes
Testing field mapping helps you spot discrepancies in the data between the source and destination services and avoid sync failures at a later stage.
We will map three mandatory fields - First name, Last name, and Email ID from your Google Workspace account with their respective fields in your Kissflow account by default. Click +New field to add as many fields as you want, from your Google Workspace account and map them with their equivalent fields in Kissflow.
After mapping fields, you can select certain fields for which you wouldn't want future updates to be synced into Kissflow.
Toggle Sync updates OFF to prevent a field from being updated in the future. However, disabling this field doesn't restrict the field from being added for the first time.
Let us assume an organization decides not to let its employees make changes to details such as their First name in Kissflow but an employee changed his name from Michael Doe to Mike Doe now. If Sync updates is ON for the First name field, his new name 'Mike Doe' will be updated in Kissflow in the subsequent sync. If it is turned OFF, the changes to his First name will be discarded and retained as Michale Doe in Kissflow.
Click Test to preview the mapping results.
Your field mapping might fail in the following scenarios:
- The source and destination fields must have the same data type. For example, you cannot map a ‘Manager name’ field (Text) in Google Workspace with a 'Joining date' field (Date) in Kissflow.
- The field values must be in the accepted format. For example, the ‘Joining date’ field (Date) cannot have ‘June sixth’ as one of its values. It must follow the format 06/06/2019 (DD/MM/YYYY) instead.
Resolve the errors if any and retest the mapping as necessary. Click Next to proceed to the next step when you are done testing.
Setting sync preferences
You can schedule sync, manage deleted Google Workspace users, and assign notification recipients for sync failures in this section. Kissflow supports scheduled syncs only on a weekly basis at the moment.
- You can choose to delete or deactivate users in Kissflow when they are deleted in your Google Workspace account.
- Select the recipients from the Notify sync failures to dropdown to send them notifications in case of sync failure. The users will receive both in-app and email notifications in this regard.
- Click Save & sync now to save your configuration.
- Click Edit configuration after accessing the configuration under Account administration > User provisioning > Directory sync > Google Workspace
- Under Domains, add new domains by selecting their respective checkboxes or remove existing domains by deselecting their checkboxes accordingly.
- New users belonging to the newly added domains will be added and synced in the subsequent syncs and the existing users from the excluded domains along with their group information will be deferred from being synced up the next time. However, their information will be retained in Kissflow.
- Similarly, modify the users and their group information in the next step as necessary.
- Test the field mapping again to ensure there aren't any data discrepancies.
- Modify your sync preferences as necessary.
- Click Save & sync now to save your changes and initiate the sync.
- Do you know you can log in as a different user when the configuration is active?
Yes, there could be instances when your credentials no longer work and you might have to log in again to avoid sync failures. Hover over your email address while editing the configuration to log out from your current session and log in again.
All the scheduled syncs will be disabled until the Administrator signs in back to their Google Workspace account. Also, the existing configuration will be deleted permanently if you log in to a different Google Workspace account.