Creating and managing a dataset view
Who can create views
You can share a confined version of your dataset with others with the help of views. For example, you may have an employee dataset that has the details of all the employees and their payroll information across all the verticals in your organization. Say if a marketing team manager requests access to the dataset to access the details of all the marketing analysts in the company, you can create a view from the main dataset that contains only the Marketing department's data instead of granting access to the main dataset. This way you do not expose the details of the other departments unless there is a need.
Only Dataset admins can create views from the main dataset.
Creating a view
To create a new view, click the plus icon () found at the top of your dataset.
- Enter the name of the view and click Create
- Next, update the view configuration where you can change the default visualization of the view. You can customize the data that has to be shown in a view by configuring it.
- Modify the view's name or choose to go with a restricted set of fields by choosing Specific fields under View configuration.
- Under Order by, set the order in which the data has to be shown - Ascending or Descending.
- Under Sort by, choose the field based on which the data has to be grouped.
Configuring a view
If you want to make further changes to a view after its initial configuration, you can always go to More options beside a view name and click Configure.
The changes made to a view are reflected in all other views for that dataset.
Deleting a view
You can delete a view from the same place where you configure it. You can refer to the screenshot above for your understanding. Click More options () beside a view name and click Delete.
Sharing a view
Sharing a view is similar to how you share a dataset. Click Share in the upper-right corner of the page to manage who can access or modify the view.
Choose the view for which you would like to configure its members and permissions under Dataset views to your left.
Click +Add members to add more members to manage this view. You can make an admin a member and make a member an admin by clicking the More actions icon beside a member's name. You can also remove a member from a view that refrains them from accessing the view in the future.