Creating a case system
Before you can start creating and collaborating on different cases, you will need to perform the following actions:
- Create a new case system.
- Add new members to your case system.
- Set up any custom statuses that are required for your workflow.
- Determine whether priority is required.
Creating a new case system
Case systems can be built from scratch or using a template. Before you can start building a new case system, get required permissions from an Account Admin.
- On your home page, click Create a new flow. Alternatively, you can click Explore all on the top navigation bar.
- On the Explore all flows page, click Create new.
- Under the Create from scratch section, on the Workflow card, click + Create. Next, click Case system. You can also use one of the predefined templates under the Install a marketplace template section.
- Enter a name for your case system. For example, if you’re creating an issue tracking system, you can name this as Issue tracking.
- In the Item type field, enter a name for the type of cases that are managed in the system. For example, this can be Issue if you are creating an issue tracking system or Request for a system that manages service requests.
- In the ID prefix field, enter text that is used as a prefix for generating case IDs. The prefix is used with serial numbers to generate IDs. For example, if you enter IT, cases will be numbered IT-001, IT-002, and so on.
- Click Create.
Adding new members to a case system
After creating a new case system, you can add other platform users to start collaborating on cases. Users added to the case system become members. Learn more about managing members and permissions here.
- On your case system page, click the More options button () > Share.
- To add new members to your case system and assign roles, click Add members.
- In the search box, type in the name of a person you want to add to the case system. You can add multiple members.
- After adding the required members, assign one of the following roles to them:
- Admin - case system admins can create and edit cases as well as manage all the settings for your case system.
- Member - case system members can create new cases as well as update existing ones.
- Initiator - can only create new cases and update the ones that are either created or requested by them.
- Click Add.
Configuring custom statuses for your workflow
In addition to default statuses that are available in a case system, you can also create custom statuses for your case system’s workflow. Custom statuses allow for detailed tracking of cases that are in progress.
To create a new custom status:
- On your case system page, click the More options button () > Settings. Next, click Workflow.
- On the Workflow tab, under the In Progress section, click the Add a custom status button.
- Enter a name for the custom status, and then click Save.
You can create multiple custom statuses and arrange them in the order that you want. However, custom statuses can only be created under the In Progress category.
Turn on or off priority for the case system
Priority indicates the urgency to resolve a case. You can only assign a priority to cases if you have turned on this feature in case system settings. If this setting is not turned on, the Priority field will not be visible across the case system.
- To turn on or off the priority, click the More options button () > Settings.
- Click the Priority tab, then click the ON or OFF button to turn on/off priority for the case system.